When you add an email account to Windows Live Mail 2011, the email program will ask you for your credentials so that it can connect to the mail server of your email provider - this includes your email address and your password. But most email providers allow you to change password whenever you want, and usually let you do that from their website (this could be Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, your internet provider, or your school / employer). As soon as you change your email account password, Windows Live Mail 2011 will no longer be able to send or download email messages, since the password it has stored on file no longer matches. In this tutorial, we will show you how to change Windows Live Mail password.
How do I change my Windows Live Mail password?
Follow these steps to update your credentials and password information for Windows Live Mail 2011 on Windows Vista or Windows 7: (a separate tutorial will explain how to change password for the old version of Windows Live Mail that is available for Windows XP)
- First, open Windows Live Mail the way you usually do: if you get an error message concerning wrong password, disregard it and close the error message window.
- Once inside the program, select the inbox of the email address whose password you want to change (just click on your regular inbox if you have only added a single email account inside Windows Live Mail). Then, click on the "Accounts" tab in the ribbon, as shown below:
- Now click on the "Properties" button to load the profile of the selected email account:
- Windows Live Mail 2011 will open a "Properties" dialog which contains all settings relating to the email account in question. Select the "Server" tab, and you will see two sections: "Server Information" and "Mail Server". Under the second section, you should see your email address for that account, and your current password: (we chose a Hotmail account as example, but this is true regardless of the email provider of the selected account)
- Highlight the current password and change it by typing your new password over it: since you cannot see the text you are typing, make sure that CapsLock is off (so that you are not inadvertently typing your new password in all uppercase), and pay attention to avoid any typos that would give Windows Live Mail the wrong password.
- The "Remember password" checkbox can be checked to make Windows Live Mail 2011 automatically sign in to your email account when sending or receiving emails (which means that you will not have to manually type in the account password every time).
- Once you have changed your Windows Live Mail password for this email account, click on the "OK" button to apply the new setting and return to the program.
This is all it takes to change email password in Windows Live Mail 2011: you should now be able to send and receive email messages through this account without any problem! To learn more about the best free email program Microsoft has ever created, visit our Windows Live Mail Tutorial.
Copyright © 2016 How Do I Change My Password
, All Rights Reserved. • Legal Disclaimer
- Ask a QuestionThe names of brands and companies mentioned on this website own the copyright or trademark to these and possibly other terms mentioned. No warranty expressed or implied;
use our website resources at your own risk, and use common sense when dealing with online security - never share your user name and password or publish them online.