When you first sign up to get a Facebook account, part of the profile creation process involves entering your name, your email address, and a password. From that point on, you will always enter the same password when accessing Facebook, from any computer. But you can very easily change your Facebook password, and should in fact do it on a regular basis (for security reasons), especially if you often check your profile from a public computer or unfamiliar location: this tutorial explains how.
How do I change my Facebook password?
Follow these simple steps to pick a new password for your Facebook profile:
- First, if needed, login to Facebook; once signed in to your account, click on the "Account" dropdown menu in the top right corner of the page, and choose "Account Settings":
- As soon as you do, Facebook will redirect you to your "My Account" screen, which contains your basic profile information, like display name, email address, and password.
- The fourth setting in the listing shows a "Password" header ("What you use to log in"). Notice that at the end of that line, Facebook also shows a "change" link. Click on it:
- Facebook will display a password changing form right below the link, which contains some instructions, and three text fields. A few notes to keep in mind before you change your password: if you share your Facebook profile with other people, make sure to tell them that they will need to start using a new password - as a security measure, changing your Facebook password will automatically log out anyone (besides yourself) who is signed in to the same account. Also, follow the recommendations Facebook gives you on password length, and nature of the password itself (currently, you have to enter at least a 6-characters long password, which has to mix letters, numbers, and punctuation marks: this makes for very strong passwords, and lessens the chances of seeing someone hack into your account:
- First, type your current Facebook password inside the "Old Password" field - this is designed to prevent someone else from changing your password in case you left your computer unattended, while still logged into your Facebook account.
- Then, enter the password you want to change to inside the "New Password" field; notice that as you type, Facebook gives you a real time assessment of your Password strength. Take advantage of it, and create a "Strong" password, which will be very difficult to crack.
- To avoid any typo, re-type your new password inside the "Confirm Password" field.
- You are nearly done! Click on the Change Password button, and your Facebook account will from this point on only recognize the new password you just chose. Remember to start using it right away, whether you login to Facebook or need to supply a password to a third-party Facebook application, etc. This new password is the same for any computer you use.
And this is how easily you can change your Facebook password! For more information about managing and customize your favorite social networking site, check out our Facebook Tutorial.
Copyright © 2014 How Do I Change My Password
, All Rights Reserved. • Legal Disclaimer
- Ask a QuestionThe names of brands and companies mentioned on this website own the copyright or trademark to these and possibly other terms mentioned. No warranty expressed or implied;
use our website resources at your own risk, and use common sense when dealing with online security - never share your user name and password or publish them online.